Friday 4 April 2008

Welcome, study PR

After this Wednesday’s debate about Professionalism in PR, I became interested in reading this PRWeek’s annual Salary Survey, Salary Survey 2008: A war for talent in a thriving industry.

Maybe it proves something.

No matter if you have a PR Master Degree, a career in PR can potentially be financially rewarding.

‘Over half of respondents to the most recent PRCA trends barometer are looking to increase staff numbers this quarter, while 81 per cent are planning to maintain the same levels of graduate recruitment.’

Anyway, that’s good news isn’t it?

For me, beside these facts, studying PR in the UK is very beneficial.

One of the deciding factors of choosing PR as my course was the wish of starting my own PR firm in China in a few years time (I WISH!). As a result of this, I thought that obtaining a solid foundation of PR would be important in my career. Fortunately, I found that it really necessary to have this kind of study experience.

Another thing is that this study experience has opened a new way of looking at life for me. I might have thought about issues such as ethics in the past, but never had any insight into them. This provides me with an opportunity to take it serious.

Our last New Media class was held in the virtual world The Second Life, where we went on an amazing tour of how this virtual world can be used as a marketing & PR tool. Our module leader Reuven’s colleague Russell gave us a brilliant presentation on Virtual Worlds and using them to channel information and messages to customers and ultimately lead us on an unforgettable tour.

During the Q&A session, I asked: In the Corporate structures of traditional mass media, ownership is power, but who has the power in a virtual world and the broader new media environment.

Russell gave me an impressive answer: To an extent, individuals can challenge of the great.

I think he is right, because the first stop on our Second Life tour was American Apparel’s virtual store, which unfortunately closed down, because people in 2nd life didn’t like it.

In the end, I had too many questions to ask, but too little time.

Even for those who don’t work in new media sector, I still feel that it is a good thing to understand, utilize, develop and use it to add value to their existing products or services.

(That is our Second Life session‏)


Actually, I am quite impressed with the practical aspects of this course, which are very beneficial for my studies, since it has helped me to develop a project or PR campaign from start to finish. I think it is very important for a PR beginner.

Finally, I would like to say that studying this course has been a very challenging and fruitful experience. I never thought that could learn and do InDesign well, although I managed to keep up to date with new technology.

No comments: